Friday, October 4, 2013

The Asian Giant Hornet (Vespa Mandarinia)




The Asian giant hornet is terrorizing people in China. Their current death toll is 42, and have injured more than 1,500 others. They are attracted to sweat, alcohol, and sweet scents. Like most wasps, they are more sensitive to this when animals or people run. Their venom can kill red blood cells and can cause kidney failure and death. 

Those pictured above are the queen hornets, but the average Asian giant hornet is roughly the size of a thumb. 


This is not a topic I would normally write about, but I'm still not over my nightmares topic from last week. I have always had a fear of wasps. I know they do take care of many pests like flies and ticks, but I hate them. I would never kill one just because, but I get so terrified every time one is near me. They are, most definitely, my kryptonite. 

You can see me go from an adult to a toddler in about .01 seconds. After reading about these hornets in China, it made me think of how terrifying it must be to live near them. Especially now that they really are terrorizing people. I could not imagine the fear. Some have claimed that swarms have chased them down for over 200 meters. I would have a mental breakdown (and, hopefully, a flamethrower). 

I am working to push past my fear. I try to think of the good they provide, and think of calming things. That way, I am not flailing around and running from them. That's a great way to get stung.
I think why I fear them so much is both times I have been stung by red wasps, I had no idea they were even there. The first time, I was opening a gate to my backyard, I couldn't even see it as it stung me. And the second time, I walked out of my front door and was stung on my neck. Again, I had no clue it was there. Now, I make myself aware of everything surrounding me as I go outside. My fear is completely irrational. Not every wasp wants to sting me. But, I have a hard time pushing through to get over it. 

Anyway, there you have it. My worst nightmare is terrorizing Asia. Luckily, experts are saying it is highly unlikely for them to migrate to America. They would have to cross over desert land and they have not adapted to it yet. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed on that knowledge.


What is your biggest fear?



If you enjoy these blogs or would like to help me out, you may donate as much as you'd like!It helps me out, and every penny will go back into the site and towards expanding my other sites for your enjoyment!











No comments:

Post a Comment